I did more work on the blade textures, changing the colours slightly, making the etching stand out more & I added an image of rusted metal in a new layer, with very low opacity.
I made the surface of the handle/guard flat, with the intention of adding in all the detail in photoshop, however I will probably use Mudbox instead. Partially because i’d like to play around with the software & get a feel for it, and partially because I just think it’ll work better.
The handle, made with floating geometry, mostly primitives. I applied a twist modifier to a few cylinders to make the bit you actually hold.
Next steps are to texture the guard, and try to make the blades look like they’re not just glued onto the sides.